Saturday, July 02, 2005

The wet Suits! A side note, last time I traveled down the Arkansas was in Jr. High. I will never forget that trip because it was one of the scariest things I had ever been through. During the first rapid my life-long neighbor and friend Dorie Guthrie flew out of the raft. Seeming to disregard how we might react once we got her back in the boat, the guide was yelling time and time again 'highside' highside!' and after repeating the commands a few more runs, Dorie, my brother Rob and I were no longer allowed to sit on the side and paddle. Our guide said to hold on as tight as we could! The rafts around us were flipping, a couple floated by us, whose guide had fallen out and lost her oars! and the other family traveling the river with us was panicked because their mom was trapped under the raft. Once we were done. The rafting company decided not to run anymore trips the rest of the day, they all were canceled. I later learned the wild ride was due to the level of the river, and the snow melting on the mts. can change everything in the river. The summer of (?93) or somewhere in that range was the largest amount of run-off they had ever had and during our trip in June or guide talked about the record that was set that summer.Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home