Monday, September 12, 2005

Labor Day Recap The day began at Gold Hill Trail Head a few miles outside Frisco. We came up with 3 rules to follow when reading about which hike to choose for the day/weekend. #1 It will always be longer; the book said 12 miles, the sign 13.5! #2 It will always be harder than you think; the book said this segment was 'strenuous even for the seasoned hiker'...I now know strenuous is not my idea of fun. #3 It will always take more time than you thought; the 3:30 arrival to copper Mt. And the shuttle ended up being 5:30. So these might not be ALWAYS for EVERYONE, but we are 2:2 with the Colorado trail. What a beautiful day. We discovered at the split to Breckenridge there was a marathon going on. It seemed to work every time I thought my legs were going to go numb someone came jogging by. Granted most of them looked like they were about to die, but I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Dolly and I at what we thought was the top! Oh no..Keep hiking. A look back on the lake near Frisco. The Marathon runners stopped passing at this point. A View from the Top, we finally made it. The trip was mentally exhausting, for we never knew when we were going to be descending! Just over that ridge, no...Look we can see through the trees, just over that ridge...They kept coming and coming. Copper Mt. A familiar ski area for us in the background

Ready to be done...The Descent.

Dolly starting laying down, but she did well for her first hike, even some of the runners stopped for a pet and a quick rest.

We finally finished the 13 miles and when we went to get on the shuttle found out Dolly couldnt ride unless she was a service dog. My dad rode to Frisco and came back for us and we were home by 8:30! And I thought hiking was only for vacation.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Em that looks like so much fun! Your are quite the outdoors woman! Daniel, Kelly's guy from Germany, climbs and hikes mountains. I told him that I want to come along for a hike (I'm a little to scared of heights for a climb!) But sometime when he's over here we all should go on a trip. Man, that sounds so much better than studying for my test tonight! I would love to do something like that when I visit, so if it's cold we'll ski, and if it's warm then we can go hiking. I miss the adventures of the Worhley family.
Love ya!
-Beth

2:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok em, so I thought of one more thing right after I posted the last comment. Most of the time I don't think about hiking much. That's probably not because I don't like the outdoors, rather it's because I've induced other types of behaviors. So what I'm trying to say, although not quite as eloquent as I imagined, is that in the same way a gene on DNA can be induced or repressed for a certain product. So I think activites are formed into habits, by what we induce or repress. We might have the potential to love certain activites, but until they are tried out we will never know. But I am certain that when I'm around you my "genes" express characteristics that are normally repressed. I believe you are a refressing and fun person, and I love to find out what other things life holds. Maybe that sounds strange, call me for further clarifications.. Back to patho....

A little dazed and confused from reading text books a little too much,
Beth

2:50 PM  
Blogger Jess said...

Em! How beautiful! So fun to see Copper Mt. without snow! Looks like an amazing hike, even though it was strenuous and challenging :). WIsh I could have been there!

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beth you are a riot! Putting into practice what we were talking about...images and words and how life can be seen through natural elements...love it!

5:51 PM  
Blogger Melissa Martynyuk said...

emily...awesome pictures of your hike. how fun that colorado is your home again...as it is for me. i live downtown denver!!!! email me sometime rudy09@hotmail.com
it'd be awesome to reconnect...

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home